Perinatal & Postpartum Depression
Mitcham Private Hospital is now providing specialised care for mothers experiencing perinatal depression, anxiety and other related conditions.
Women and their partners may go through a wide range of emotional experiences during pregnancy and the year following birth (the perinatal period).
Having to deal with so many changes during pregnancy and the year following birth can place some women at risk of developing or having an exacerbation of an existing mental health condition including:
- Mood and Anxiety Disorders
- Stress and Grief
- Bipolar Disorders
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorders
- Medication Changes
The underlying philosophy of our perinatal mental health unit is to help mothers adjust to motherhood, bond with their baby and for infants to develop a secure attachment to their primary carer.
Providing multidisciplinary care, this 6 bed perinatal mental health unit has been specifically refurbished to provide home-like, comfortable surroundings.
Admission to our specialist unit is always on a voluntary basis, with patients understanding and accepting the need to actively participate in their own recovery process. Women are admitted under the care of a psychiatrist.
Mothers can be admitted with their babies up to the age of 12 months.
- Health Insurance Details
- Medicare Card
- Casual, comfortable Day clothes
- Night attire
- Toiletries (include sun lotion in warmer months)
- Current Medications
- Clothing – enough for duration of stay
- Favourite toys, play blanket and comforter for bed if age appropriate
- Bibs and spoon
- Current medications
- Bottles, Bottle Brush, Teats, Formula and Infant cup (if required)
- Disposable Nappies
- Infant cereal (if required)
- You might like to bring your own cot sheets
- Infants four months and over may use an acceptable sleeping bag. All sleeping bags uses in the unit must not have a tog rating greater than 1.0 and should be light weight.
- Infant Health Record
Mitcham Private Hospital will provide
- Towels, Linen
- Steam Steriliser and Bottle warmer
- Solids for Babies if needed
We recommend you leave all valuable personal items at home, including money and jewellery. We cannot accept responsibility for the loss or damage of any item brought into the hospital.
Admission to our unit
To be admitted to our unit the following steps need to be followed:
- Your referring Medical Practitioner is required to send the completed Perinatal Mental Health Services Referral Form to our Perinatal Intake Co-ordinator.
- You are required to complete the Edinburgh Post Natal Depression Scale Form
- You are required to complete Perinatal Unit Pre-Admission assessment form
- Please forward your forms to our Intake Co-ordinator via Mail, Fax or email;
We recommend downloading the latest free version of Adobe Fill & Sign through your app store if you wish to complete your online referral and email it to us via your mobile phone.
Please note - this is not required if you complete the forms via your PC.
Fax: 03 9210 3166
Mail: Perinatal Unit Intake coordinator
Mitcham Private Hospital
27 Doncaster East Road
Mitcham VIC 3132
Alternatively you can contact us directly on 03 9210 3383.